Monday, February 14, 2011

Newspaper Affiliation


In high school, I never really got interested in the news. Therefore I never read or even touched the newspapers save for the Sunday comics that my mother would toss in my direction. Occasionally, I would help my cousin deliver his share of the Rapid City Journal, but that was about it as far as that goes. However; I knew that I would have to touch such dismal looking material someday and during my government class in sophomore year I had to actually do an assignment for current events. For two years, the only thing I did was read a random headline article and comment on it. One day, in my senior year of high school, I was given the opportunity to write a small article for the Central High School Newspaper. I'd have to say that was rather entertaining to me and it sparked an interest in writing for the news.

Three years of college life passed by and all I knew about the news was that there was one in Aberdeen that wasn't even worth reading, there was the Exponent (the NSU newspaper on campus) and I almost signed up to write for that paper. After I transferred to DSU  though, I decided maybe it was time to try for some actual journalism. After all, I finally decided that if I couldn't make a lot of money selling my newly published children's book "Shadows Around the Corner" then I wanted to write for something that would make me some income someday. I was introduced to the Trojan Times by a friend of mine who had just gotten out of an interview for the paper. She told me that if I was quick then I could get a job writing articles for 300 dollars a semester. Sure, it's not a lot for a paycheck, but it was great for my future employers to see how well I could write. 

I've been a writer for the DSU Trojan Times for about a year now and have written over 15 news articles and continue to do so. It is an exciting job and I love the rush of having a deadline, doing the research and having the articles written well as well as quickly. 

1 comment:

  1. Cool. It's a good chance to continue your experience, Chrystal, to be writing for the paper. Do you think it's different to have your material on the Web?

    ReplyDelete